It’s Friday which means it’s time to post about a fun activity to use during speech therapy! Today’s activity topic is life size board games…doesn’t that sound like fun?
– Paper plates (round, square, small, big, anything will work)
– Picture cards or question list – Picture cards can be anything from articulation cards to pronoun cards. You can also have a question list or some type of other prompting item if you prefer.
– Quarter or other coin
Set Up Before Therapy:
1) If you have picture cards, tape them onto the bottom the plates facing upwards.
2) Then, place the plates in some type of game board formation around the playground, room or other area.
How To Play:
1) The first player tosses a coin. See what the coin lands on and have the student move that amount of spaces. (Heads = 2 Tails =1)
2) When the student gets to his/her spot, he/she must perform a task in order to stay there. For example, if there are articulation sound cards on the plates, then the student needs to say the corresponding word 5-10X. If you are working on WH questions, then the student must answer a question before moving on…etc.
3) If the student cannot perform the task, he or she must move back to their original spot and it’s the next person’s turn.
4) Students take turns flipping the coin and moving to spaces on the game board.
5) Whoever gets to the end first, WINS!
My students love this interactive game and forget that they are actually working and learning! I hope your students will enjoy this too.
Free 28 Page Word Lists Set!
Mary CooperAugust 9, 2015 at 11:25 am
The "Life Sized Game Board" looks like fun!
Sounds Like FunAugust 9, 2015 at 1:43 pm
Great interactive game idea 🙂
anniedAugust 9, 2015 at 7:41 pm
Jennifer BradleyAugust 18, 2015 at 12:17 am
Thank you Mary!
Jennifer BradleyAugust 18, 2015 at 12:18 am
Thank you Annie!
Jennifer BradleyAugust 18, 2015 at 12:19 am
Thank you for visiting!