SLPs are crazy busy druing back to school. Throughout the year, we are bogged down with planning therapy, IEPs, progress reports, billing Medicaid, evaluations, etc. By the end of the year, many of us are completely burned out!
Summer is our time to not only relax and rejuvenate, but get a head start on the next school year. No this doesn’t mean planning therapy or getting a head start on reports. Instead, we can take 10 simple steps over the summer that will help lesson the load and help decrease stress levels once the school year begins.
I have created a list of the top 10 things that all SLPs should do over the summer. Pick one thing to do per week or pick something to do when you feel like it! Make sure to download the FREE Checklist! Check each of the 10 items off by the end of the summer!
- RELAX – Take one day this summer and do absolutely nothing! if you decide to do something, make it a massage, pedicure, manicure or all of the above!
- CATCH UP – Do something that you couldn’t do over the school year because you didn’t have time! Read a book, binge watch all the episodes of your favorite show, rent a movie you missed, etc.
- GO SHOPPING – Buy some cheap, speech therapy games, craft supplies and/or activities. The best places to find these items are garage sales, mom 2 mom sales and the Salvation Army.
- MAKE A LIST – Make a list of things you would like to accomplish during the next school year. This could be anything from educating the staff about what we do to setting up a homework plan for students.
- TAKE A CLASS – Take any classes that you need to take for your state license or ASHA CCCs.
- WRITE A NOTE TO YOURSELF – This job can be extremely draining and it’s easy to lose motivation. Write yourself a ‘pick me up’ or inspirational note. Use this next school year to remind yourself of why you are doing this and what your goals are for the year.
- RESEARCH ACTIVITIES – Take a day to scour Pinterest, TPT and/or blogs to find some activities that you would like to do with your students. Write them down, pin them or add them to your wish list. When you are lacking motivation and need something fun to do, you won’t need to take the time to find something!
- OFFICE UPDATES – Go shopping for some fun office supplies and décor. Do this before the first week of school, so that you are prepared! Research ‘classroom themes or décor’ to get inspiration!
- LET IT GO – There are always those one (or couple) people from work that might have caused a lot of stress over the year. Decide to move on and motivate yourself to ‘start fresh’ with them next year.
- FAMILY/FRIEND TIME – MOST IMPORTANT! Enjoy every day with your family and/or friends. Once the school year begins, it becomes more difficult to make time. Make sure to take the time to enjoy them!
What are your plans for this summer?